Connect With UrthPRO™

 facebook   twitter
8 Steps For Dealing With A Chronic Mold Problem
Written by UrthPRO   
Monday, 28 February 2011 15:59
If you have a chronic mold problem, repair to the building’s exterior structure is required if moisture is entering the home from the outside.  At the same time, steps should be taken inside the home to reduce the occupants’ exposure to mold.

Step 1 — Discard moldy or damaged materials

Wear a dust mask and gloves. Furnishings, such as mattresses, carpets, or sofas that got wet or have been stored in damp conditions should be discarded. Discard items that are no longer needed. Use this opportunity to reduce the amount of furnishings — this means fewer materials to absorb moisture and grow mold. Clothes and other items that have been cleaned should be stored in sealed plastic bags to prevent re-contamination.

Step 2 — Vacuum

Proper vacuuming reduces the amount of mold spores. All surfaces in the home (floors, walls, ceilings, shelves) and non-washable furnishings (such as sofas, chairs, etc.) must be vacuumed thoroughly.

Step 3 — Prevent

Keep moisture generated within the home to a minimum by conscientiously following the prevention steps here.

Step 4 — Clear wet areas

Pull carpets and furnishings away from walls that get wet. Carpets and carpet padding that are moldy should be cut out and discarded.

Step 5 — Dry

Take steps to dry up areas that get wet. Monitor the relative humidity of the air. Use a portable dehumidifier, if necessary. Ensure that the condensate drain pan of the dehumidifier is emptied regularly.

Step 6 — Isolate

If the mold is limited to one area, isolate the area if possible. Cover the affected surfaces with plastic sheeting secured at the edges with duct tape. Note that this is only a temporary measure to minimize your exposure.

Step 7 — Clean

Healthy individuals can regularly clean small and moderate areas of mold with UrthPRO™, preventing these areas from getting out of hand, by following these safety precautions and cleaning guidelines.

Step 8 — Seek professional help

Consider seeking professional help from trained IAQ investigators to identify appropriate remediation steps inside the home. Removing large amounts of mold will require the services of mold clean-up contractors.  For help hiring a remediation professional, visit our section on how to hire a mold contractor.

Share
 

Comments  

 
# 2011-05-02 18:27
I HAVE BLACK MOLD GROWING IN MY SIDE YARD,I HAVE GRANDKIDS THAT CAN NOT PLAY IN THE YARD IT IS SICKING TO SEE,I TRYED TO CLEAN IT BUT IT KEEPS COMMING BACK AND SPREADING CAN U PLEASE HELP? TOM
Quote
 
 
# UrthPRO 2011-05-03 14:23
Hi Tom,

Where exactly is the mold growing in your yard?
Quote
 
 
# 2011-05-03 15:22
in my side yard where my dog craps and pee, i just notice it is starting to go to my front yard,and spreading more to back. i spoke to the company that owns the land they send workers to look at it they said they have more people with the problem, they do not know what it is
Quote
 
 
# UrthPRO 2011-05-03 15:36
Tom,

While we can't be certain what is causing your growth, we recommend you try spraying around the infestation with UrthPRO, then raking and scraping up the dead mold. This should alleviate your problem.
Quote
 
 
# 2011-06-13 15:37
does mold irritate skin and cause areas of sores? if so, what do i do? i've been to several doctor's and they think i'm nuts.they won't even look at the spots that are affected.
Quote
 
 
# 2011-06-13 15:39
i am just waiting for a response to the above ??'s.
Quote
 
 
# UrthPRO 2011-06-13 17:42
Hello Christina,

apologies for the slow response. Mold can certainly irritate the skin and cause dermatitis.

If an irritant like mold comes in contact with the skin, it may cause skin damage. The body responds to this damage by sending in cells in the blood to try to repair the damage. That is what causes the redness, warmth, and swelling seen with dermatitis. If the damage is minimal, it will just result in thickening of the skin. However, if the skin damage is more severe, it could cause blistering and chapping of the skin. Usually the rash caused by a skin irritant will develop within a few hours after exposure and will be at its worst about 24 hours later.

With allergic contact dermatitis, the process is different. Usually there is an amount of time in which the person may be in contact with a substance and does not have a reaction. This amount of time varies anywhere from a few days to many years. Part of the reaction depends on the substance's ability to penetrate the skin. Once an allergen has penetrated the outer layer of skin, there are no signs of skin damage. However, the person may have become "sensitized" to the allergen. If that is so, the next time someone is exposed to that substance, the immune system recognizes the allergen as a foreign substance and sets up an allergic reaction which may result in itching, pain, redness, swelling, and the formation of small wheals or blisters on the skin.

For more information, we recommend consulting your doctor to find out if you do in fact have a form of dermatitis, and if so, they may recommend you use a cold press to reduce swelling, hydrocortisone cream, colloidal oatmeal and any combination thereof (or none of it). Also, if you believe this is mold related, you should be tested for a host of other symptoms like breathing problems, etc.

Hope this information helps.
Quote
 
 
# 2011-07-14 13:48
My fiancee and I are looking at a stucco home that has a very wet smell in the basement. The first time we looked at the property the basement ceiling had black mold in some locations. The owner painted it the second time we looked at the property. The third time the black mold was coming back. The basement has a 6'x8' hole in the wall behind the washer and that is where the well housing is located..I think on a dirt floor. Of course, the real estate agent denies the fact that the house has a mold problem. Would it be cost effective to purchase this house or should we just forget about it? Thanks for your help!
Quote
 
 
# 2011-08-01 23:02
i have mold growing in my apartment,maint ence came and chalking on tp of it in a weeks time it grew back and the odor is worsed, i noticfy the management first,what should i do
Quote
 
 
# bonnie loggins 2013-04-02 14:25
same problem as above. I have mold growing in my apartment.Over the last 6 years we have had water damage in our living room and around the windows and once the sheet rock fell from above into the apartment (pipe broke in bathroom, the leak lasted a couple of yrs). Have found black mold in the windows. maintence came and sprayed something on it and repainted. I am concerned there is more as my husband, who is 77 has terrible allergies. is there an inspection for this?
Quote
 
 
# jessica 2011-11-26 17:00
okay im currently employed at a restuarant bar/grill and its also got an inn with it as well. the rooms are seperate from the restuarant itself, however, have huge huge problem in both places. mold in bathrooms, not cleaned up or wiped down/off; is is safe for me to rent out a particular room to ANY individual with knowledge or not any of this being there????and with surrounding issues which are part of why the growth is there(lack their of care or worry for others; and spending money) is my 1 person attempt going to wipe out the mold at all or am i fighting loosing battle???? currently not tooo happy impressed with employer/job, not in area, on vac; the basemant to the restuarant has severe water damage from tornadoe flooding and no1 noticing water (think was told like 2-3ft) any who its soooo bad down there that its all the way up the walls n appears to be growing into ceiling which is floor/structure, walls to eating areas!!!!!! have worked in food prep; kitchens, and mother did licsensed daycare thru state n county so i know KNOW THIS isnt safe or healthy in the least!!!!WHAT DO I DO?????????? a co-worker had tried was sent to clean walls in basement with bleach did for couple hrs, and he was seriously ill for 6-7 days; so yes very very uncertain on how to handle this carefully and correctly as my main priority and concern is self my kids and then the customers and or guests in the inn........ what do i do???
Quote
 
 
# loretta 2013-01-25 02:47
O ur house burned jan. 25th. We have damage.lot of smoke and water Does this mean that mold can be so bad we can not fixe it
Quote
 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Copyright © UrthTech, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions